[simpits-tech] WPAFB Museum

Brian Sikkema hangr18 at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 9 21:40:35 PDT 2004

Just got back from a weekend trip to the museum at Wright-Patterson. Man is
that a sight! Definitely worth the trip, if you ever get the chance.

I still can't believe the access you get to most of the aircraft - walk
right up to them, around, underneath, touch them (ok, the signs say not to,
but there's a flown X-15 right in front of me, I'm gonna touch it). Just
amazing.

I was incredibly dissapointed with the Mercury they had, though. It wasn't
even flown equipment (and had been thoroughly cannibalized to boot), but
they still had it encased in plexiglass. To make matters worse, there were
no internal lights, and tons of lights shining down on it - the worst case
scenario if you're trying to take pictures. So I got a couple shots of the
reasonably-well-lit control panel, but all of the ellusive details,
controls, around the couch, inside the parachute compartment, were a lost
cause. I couldn't use my flash, and there was no light on them otherwise. A
real bummer.

Anywho, overall a great time, I'll post a few pics once I get them developed
and scanned.

Brian