[simpits-tech] Power Supply

Robert Bibber robert at karobsiberians.com
Wed Sep 24 12:03:44 PDT 2003

I got my 12V and 5V terminal blocks installed last night - I have lights now! I can actually SEE which key I'm hitting! I had some 12v backup lights off my old truck that I was going to use for main lighting inside the cockpit but neither one of them worked! I ended up using two taillight bulbs (off the same truck) and soldering leads directly to the contacts. I am powering it off the same 400W power supply that powers the "simputer" for now until I get this other one working. I don't want to run stuff like lights, LEDs, and cooling fans off the PC though.

I did my AC power over the weekend - I'm pretty good with regular 110V household electrical systems so that was no problem - now I just have to find a toggle switch rated for 15 - 20Amps at 120vac so I can use is as my Main PWR switch. From the 15 (preferably 20) amp main power I will split off a 10amp feed for the PC and use the rest for auxiliary power systems. I DO NOT want to have the PC getting starved for power and I think the 400W power supply in it draws like 8 amps or so. I still have two 115VAC cooling fans that need power as well as numerous 12VDC fans for circulation (I tried it out last night with only one fan and with the 12V lights on it got rather WARM & STUFFY in there!).

I just tried activating this PS like you said but no dice.
This is Dell's proprietary power supply - not an ATX plug.

When plugged in, the only pin with power is #11 (PSON). I tried connecting this to pin #5 (PWRGOOD) with no results. No other pin has power. (I have to do this stuff here at work because I FRIED my multitester at home and they have a NICE one here!).

Rob Bibber
Karob Siberian Sleddogs
http://www.karobsiberians.com