[simpits-tech] Real World Viper Question

Steve Wilson mafsix at gci-net.com
Tue Sep 23 19:52:24 PDT 2003

Gene oughta have fun with this one... 8P, but here goes anyway.....

I live under the approach to Tucson International, and the Guard station
there flies Vipers.  Kewel.  I'll get
real wingies when I fly F4.  But what the heck is that whistling noise the
jet makes as it's on final?  Sounds, oddly enough, like a bird trapped in
the engine, chirping to be let out.  As the F-16 whooshes overhead, you hear
chirp..........chirpchirp.............................chirp....   etc.  This
is not a thottle tweak - I'd know the difference.  You can hear the sound
quite clearly above the single faucet noise, and it's very random.

Of course, it does make it convenient to know when I should be looking up,
although a flight of A-10's fooled me a couple of weeks ago (Davis Monthan
is on the other side of I-10 from me).... when I looked up, I was expecting
to see a KC-135.

??

Steve