[simpits-tech] Globe article....

Roy Coates roy at flightlab.liv.ac.uk
Wed Sep 17 20:17:04 PDT 2003

On Wed, 17 Sep 2003, Rob Hommel wrote:

I'm sorry - you are...  ?

;)

> I know exactly how Buzz Aldrin feels. Everyone remembers the famous words he
> said when he stepped on the moon surface for the first time. He like I seem
> to have a desire to punch reporters in the nose. Sometimes it's nice to sit
> back and let others garner the glory and at other times you would like to be
> something other than " an unnamed friend". Reporters take note, next time I
> will not be so nice.

I know what you mean. I prefer to stay 'in the background' but do get a
little pissed when overlooked completely.

> Roy, there is no basis for the claim that I do 99% of the work. Gene, puts
> in many hours on the simulator, more than I do.

I'm just teasing gene - its a hobby.

> As for working on your
> little project send me a plane ticket, I haven't traveled in a while. I will
> get my passport in order, become an annoyance to your wife. Just like I
> annoy Gene's wife, she thinks I am a bad influence on her husband(unlikely).
> She still will not allow us to work on any high energy laser systems, maybe
> your wife will be more understanding.

I'm insured... she'd let me :/

> The majority of the F-15 is coming together quickly at this time as you may
> have noticed from the recent postings.Gene does not mention how much work
> went into creating a working set of plans for the combiner glass. With so
> much missing I had to work out what the missing measurements were from the
> available pieces. I missed on the first try cutting the template out of
> plywood. Hit it dead on the second try. All my measurements were accurate to
> a couple of hundredths of an inch. Polishing the cut edges of the lexan with
> sand paper to smooth out the saw cuts was a challenge that left me somewhat
> exhausted.

1/100" ?  hell, we have to be spot on here.

> While I was doing all of this Gene was struggling to remove the glass that
> was still in the frame. He believes that there maybe some truth to the
> rumors of alien technology being used at area 51. That stuff they glued the
> glass in with was unworldly.

I concur. Even my 50 year-old sea hawk has some bits which remain sticky
as hell to this day. I believe it to be alien snot.

So many projects, so many cool toys, so little time!

Roy.