[simpits-tech] Flight Racing Sims?

Matt Bailey mattb at rtccom.net
Wed Sep 17 00:25:06 PDT 2003

Hmmm that Reno Air Racing looks like Xtreme Air Racing. I do seem to recall
the name changed, I'm pretty sure those are the same game. FWIW, I wasn't
very impressed with the demo but this was on a 500mhz, I've been told it's a
whole different game on a decent system.

A while back a friend of mine did some nice Reno scenery for X-Plane,
complete with accurate pylons (he used an aerial photo, I believe). Me and
another X-Plane'er raced "original" and racing WWII planes (among other odd
things) and let me tell you, it was a blast! Particularly when the race was
tight, although even just zipping around the pylons at near ground level was
exciting. There were several instances on my end of wingtips dragging on the
ground and props striking. Trying to get back to the runway from almost zero
altitude after a prop strike was interesting. :) I also took an RV-3 around
the course a few times (zippy little homebuilt, http://vansaircraft.com )
that was pretty fun. And X-Plane isn't even a dedicated racing sim!

	-Matt Bailey