[simpits-tech] Re: U-Boat (Locomotive) Simulator

Bill Kaufman dnh757 at hotmail.com
Wed Oct 22 09:31:35 PDT 2003

"I'd like to hear how he adapted the Epic boards to his needs."

I just uploaded two more photos to show how I am doing the EPIC interface.
The first shows my EPIC interface panel that includes the EPIC USB card, (1)
output card, (1) gauge card, and the expansion card. All of the output
signals are feed through 12V relays through removable custom relay cards
that fit into the card slots on the front. The inputs are feed through
opto-isolators to bring the inputs down from 74V, 24V or 12V (depending on
the circuit,) as I used real RR equipment so I have to content with their
working voltages. I also like the idea of running everything through either
a relay or opto-isolator so when I goof something up, I don't blow up my
$$$$ EPIC cards. All the parts are mounted in IC sockets so it makes
replacement easy. All of the I/O wiring comes through the 4, 48 pin
connectors on the bottom of the unit. I made it removable so I could take it
out for modifications.

The air brakes are designed to use an actual locomotive 26NL brake system. I
have not finished that portion as I need more room behind the cab to house
the equipment rack. I am building a new building next spring to house the
simulator. Once I am in there, I'll add a 3 ft section on the rear end and
setup the brakes. To interface the air brake system to the EPIC, I have 4
pressure transducers that will tie into the analog ports on the EPIC.
Another interface card in the cabinet converts the 0 - 200mA transducer
signal into the 0 - 5V required by the EPIC card. All of the materials were
surplus RR "junk" etc. so I have to accommodate things as I go. This is the
reason for the removable cards in the interface. When I need to interface to
something new, I can design a new card to interface it to the EPIC.

I still have a fair amount of work to do to get everything running.
Unfortunately, my day job keeps me too busy the past couple months so I have
not had the time to work on it. If anyone has any questions, please email me
direct or through the group.

Bill