[simpits-tech] Helicopter in FS2004

Sittisudjatum, Sukit SukitS at state.gov
Wed Oct 22 14:47:46 PDT 2003

Have anyone here tried an emergency landing "Autorotation" for helicopter (Bell 206) in FS2004 yet?  It was so difficult .. better say impossible to recover the helo if it fall with idle RPM.  In FS2002, the recovering is possible, and very close to the real thing.

Also, I installed a nice model of Bell 205 Huey downloaded from www.hovercontrol.com to test the autorotation, and found that it fell like a rock.  The procedures I took before performing the autorotaion was follow the standard huey procedures

1. climbed to above 1,000 ft.
2. Set RPM to idle
3. Descended and maintain 60 knots.
4. Appied back pressure on cyclic to recover the helo at 100 ft. above ground with adding more blade angle (collective).
5. Land safely on ground.

Unfortunately, it didn't work in FS2004's Huey.  The similar procedures can also be applied to FS2002's Bell 206 with successful result.

A bit OT, but I believe there must be someone here who stick with flying helicopter (along with building helo pit) noticed the different between FS2002 and FS2004, and can give some advice.  Thanks in advance.

Sukit Sittisudjatum
Founder, Thai Flight Simulator
www.thaiflight.com
Bangkok, Thailand