[simpits-tech] Re: Projector Screen

Jim K. JimK at sisna.com
Sun Oct 19 15:05:40 PDT 2003

>Thanks for the info Jim.  This is just the stuff I'm going to need in a
>couple of months when I start building my screen.  The plastic stuff sounds
>like just what I need.

Jay,
Yea believe me I did TONS of research, testing and reading when I first set
up my Home Theater (HT) projector.  :-)))

All of the 1 gain screens from all of the various screen mfgs have
virtually the exact same picture quality.   As I mentioned I have samples
of them all, along with a wide variety of other gain screens, all of which
I tested and compared.   You don't really start seeing image quality
differences until you get into the higher screens gains.  The higher the
gain the more the screen reflects light (i.e. a brighter image) but there
are trade-offs when you use a higher gain screen.

You can get the same picture quality as a 1 gain screen off white walls,
black-out fabric and especially from that Parkland Plastic material.   It
comes in flat sheets and is easy to use.   Thats what I used for my first
screen.   I used a diag picture size of 72" and made a flat black wood
frame for it to use as a masking.   It looked great and for a total cost of
about $50 for the "screen", wood and paint.  It was a GREAT option.   Many
of the HT guys use this plastic as its a pretty cheap way to get a good
looking screen.

The only problem with using any type of fabric for a screen is that you
need to stretch it so there are no wrinkles in the fabric itself.   The
Parkland plastic is a rigid flat sheet so no support material is
needed.   :-)))

Like I mentioned you'll also want to look into some sort of video scaler so
you don't see the scan lines of a projector.   There are some really
expensive options for HD quality video.   Thats OK for watching DVDs and HD
content but not really needed for our application.   Check out a really
inexpensive scaler from Viewsonic, VB50.   It was made for scaling a
computer monitor and does an OK job when compared to what it costs.   I've
seen it sell for about $80.   Obviously this thing comes no where close to
an expensive scaler, but it does work.   Computer software will do an even
better job and can compete with the high end scalers.   All of  these
things are discussed in depth on that AVS forum.

Take it easy
Jim