[simpits-tech] Projector impressions

Gene Buckle geneb at deltasoft.com
Fri Oct 17 17:06:23 PDT 2003

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003, Joseph Fagner wrote:

> No.  The problem for me rear projecting (no jokes) is that where I will
> place my screen is in front of 3 huge windows.  This would have too much
> ambient light for the projector.  I can't really black out the windows, as I
> don't want to have blacked out windows noticeable from the outside (too many
> tight-ass neighbors would turn me in to the HOA).  I plan on building a
> framed area out of 2x4's and stretching a screen or bed sheet or whatever
> across that and then blacking out the back of the entire screen so that the
> light from the windows doesn't create any washout effect.  I'm going to have
> my Mother-in-law (who is an excellent seamstress) make me a set of black
> curtains like one would see in an old movie theater to trim out the sides of
> the screen.  Now it can double as a home theater.  Hopefully, some day, I
> can have multiple views and won't need the screen for simming.

You'd get yelled at for putting black construction paper in your windows?
dude, you need to seriously consider moving somewhere where your neighbors
can't tell you what you can or can't do with your own property. :)

Black curtains on the window would work well too, but I agree - you've got
to have it as dark as possible for rear projection to work properly.