[simpits-tech] F4 SP3 stop order

Marv De Beque mdebeque at woh.rr.com
Thu Oct 2 19:14:45 PDT 2003

Given the headaches, it might have been better to have formed a team of
programmers to start from scratch with a new program than pour efforts into
patching something that some commercial entity will own the rights to.

This particularly sad since so much heart has been pumped into F4 by some
very impressive talent and dedication.  The return they get for this is a
adoring public sector on one side and enthusiastic company lawyers on the
commercial side.  Add, or subtract if you will, no monetary compensation for
the many, many hours of invested time.

I hope that they get this sorted out.  However, part of me wishes that they
would put something together of their own design that THEY own the rights
to.  And if they want to charge for it, I'd buy it!

On the other side, there may be legal contracts that would forbid such an
effort and I would bet that even if not, they would have legal issues with
lawyers screaming that the team is using proprietary software or design.

Whatever happens, I would like to thank everyone involved for their efforts
to date.  You guys did one hell of a job considering the logistics and
hurdles that you had to overcome.  I would bet that your accomplishments
have many (if not all) global software companies beat when it comes to
organizing and executing a project of that magnitude.  Simply amazing.  You
guys did with a team located all over the world what most companies struggle
to do with a single team in one location.  What a legend that will be.

THANK YOU.

Marv