[simpits-tech] Handy Bendy MDF

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 29 May 2003 00:52:11 +0100 (BST)

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Kevin Foisy wrote:

> I have two types...one is actual MDF 1/8" thick, the other also 1/8"
> thick (which I think is used for peg boards) is not the same as MDF.
> It has a bit of a fuzzy texture on one side and a glossy smooth texture
> on the other.  This stuff is often seen as the backing on cabinets,
> shelving units, etc.

Yup, thats hardboard. You can get it with a nice easy-wipe white finish on
it as used in back of kitchen cabinets etc. Its dirt cheap, easy to work
with (wear a mask!) takes glue really well.

As with MDF, give it all a good undercoat with emulsion/latex paint, sand
it - and then appky your top coat. Both MDF and hardboard really soak up
the paint.

Oh, and don't sand the shiny side of hardboard - you'll always see it
through the paint.

Roy.