[simpits-tech] Keyboard encoders

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 28 May 2003 08:07:57 -0700 (PDT)

> Perhaps it's the location of the air intake? On the F-16 it's a single
> intake that is much lower to the ground than the two on the F15.  Perhaps
> FOD takes its toll, in spite of their best efforts. I know the F-15 has
> variable geometry inlets, does it also have doors that close off the front
> during taxi, or is that one of the Russian fighters?

I think the intake doors are a feature of Russian fighters - they're more
oriented towards taking off from improvised runways.

I really don't think that the F-16 has more engine failures per flight
hour than the F-15.  I think that it's the fact that when you shell out an
engine in an F-15, you can still make it home.  Airplanes that make it
home won't make it on the 6 o'clock news. :)

g.