[simpits-tech] Keyboard encoders

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 13:01:17 -0700 (PDT)

> I think I'd need to give it a go before I can say whether that would be the
> case here for me or not. However Erwyn has shown that it can handle with no
> problem grabbing the F4 variables, throw them across a network and make
> them available for processing in real time, the Phidgets site gives VB as
> its code source, and I've had no problems running VB DirectX apps at full
> pelt. You may be surprised at how fast a compiled VB exe can be. I can't
> believe that the processing is the bottle neck in such a hardware venture
> that doesn't have any graphical basis to it. But until I try it I can't say
> one way or the other ;)

For inputs and single state outputs (lamps or flags) that's ok.  (FYI,
Erwin's F4 goodies are all Delphi).  However, if like in my case, you've
got a LOT of variable state gauges to keep updated, even network latency
can be a problem.  I have to do 13 gauges just to cover the engines.  Each
of those 13 gauges need to be updated at a minimum rate of 150ms per
cycle.  This means that every 150ms, I have to update all 13 gauges.

g.