[simpits-tech] Keyboard encoders

James Hallows simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 12:28:45 +0100

>but when you want to incorporate the other phidgets in the code - you have
>constant output going to them - servos,leds, encoders, synchros and
>steppers i think it does need to be efficient ?

All coding ideally should be efficient, and people can get very defensive
about why their particular chosen programming language is better than
someone else's. However - if you want to develop an app that does all of
this, then you'll almost certainly find that the compiled executables from
coding this in Delphi, C++ or VB won't make any discernable difference on
today's fast machines. There's no way such an executable is going to be too
slow to handle the processing and input/output demands. Such an app isn't
going to approach anywhere near the demands say of a flight sim. For
example, the CH products software and virtual device drivers, which are
constantly running processing data from the joystick, uses a fraction of
the system resources, and that's entirely a Delphi application. If I was
doing this all from scratch myself, and I didn't have any VB knowledge, and
had the time to learn a new language, I'd go with Delphi everytime on
something like this. It's got the right balance of speed of development,
ease of understanding and debugging, and powerful, and efficient code.

All IMHO ;)

James