[simpits-tech] Programming languages

Matt Bailey simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 26 May 2003 02:20:03 -0500

Well I think I'm going to give programming another try this summer. Just
wondering what languages you guys recommend.

I have a wee bit of programming experience with Python, very little bit with
Visual Basic (several years ago) but never learned enough to do much useful.
At the moment I am leaning towards Python, it seems like a nice logical
laguage and also I like the idea of not having to compile anything (not a
prerequisite, but nice). Basically I'm looking at eventually programming
little apps to talk between X-Plane (either by using its data output feature,
which uses UDP, or hooking into the new plug-in system, not sure the
specifics on getting into that yet) and an interface card like phidgets or a
generic microcontroller. Also thinking about possibly controlling hardware
via the parallel port and/or serial port, although I suspect if I can get the
hang of microcontroller stuff I won't be using these much.

To start with I'd probably just do simple on/off lights and hopefully working
instruments (probably via RC servos). I'm only really interested in
controlling stuff at this point, as opposed to interfacing custom controls.

What I have right now: tons of stuff. I'm using Linux, it comes with gcc,
Python, perl, etc etc the standard array of programming goodies I suppose. I
can also develop on Windows if need be.

	-Matt Bailey