[simpits-tech] Air & Space Smithsonian....

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 22 May 2003 04:19:43 -0500

Sean Galbraith wrote:

> I still believe it is one of the best "feeling" bike sims ever.

Just installed it and went around the track a few times... less gracefully
than I would have hoped ;)

Looks like this one will work except for the view. I couldn't figure out how
to switch it.

Here's what I'm thinking. Tubular steel frame to hold a seat, tank, and
upper fairing. I'll have to build a fake tank out of glass and I'll use a
Ninja 500 solo tail I have in the attic after glassing in the seat hole, but
for the fairing I have 2 choices. I have a less than pretty Ninja 500 street
fairing in the attic and a ZX7R race upper and lower in the garage (just
took 'em off the ZX7R a couple of days ago). Let the computer control
leaning since it would be a bit impractical to do it yourself since there's
no centrifugal force to help you get back on the bike. For steering I'll
either have to find some very fast electric rams or use pneumatic rams. I
have a large compressor in the garage (it's friggin' gigantic), so I could
build PVC rams and control them with electric regulators attached to a pot
on the handlebars. Since I don't have a lot of room I'll just attach a 21"
monitor to very solid arms sticking out the front of the bike.

Don't remember if I posted this, but here's a link to a pic of my bike:

http://home.swbell.net/lt1_z28/img_0259.jpg

The race glass is barely visible sitting on my swingarm stand at the far
left. Look close at the exhaust. That's not rust, it's the metal changing
colors because of heat. Blue, purple, green, yellow, red, etc. Gotta love
titanium :) I gotta replace that muffler hanger, though. There's no
passendger seat and the peg for the other side is sitting in a box. I'll
just weld a piece of 1/8" steel rod to a couple of washers so it'll bolt to
the frame and can. The headlights are in now, but I have to build a bracket
that goes from the frame to the headlights and holds the cluster. Tomorrow
I'm replacing the mirrors with some carbon parts. Much lighter and cooler
looking. Plus it helps meet the requirement that all superbikes have at
least 7 pieces of carbon fiber. So far the front fender, muffler, dash
panel, triple clamp cover, and tank pad are carbon. 2 mirrors and it'll pass
the squid test ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net