[simpits-tech] How to hook up fans & lights??

Jim Sturcbecher simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 08 May 2003 13:17:15 +0200

OK guys, quick rule-of-thumb power supply usage.

If you are using a switching type power-supply (as in a PC), then it is
always best to provide a load of about 10% of the rated max current of
the supply. Now the PC PSU is slightly different in that the main regulation
is done on the 5V output. All other outputs are then regulated in-step with
the 5V. So, if you can put this load on the 5V somehow, and you are
using one of the newer P4 type PC PSUs, you have at least 12Amps
available on hthe 12V output and probably 30Amps or more on the 5V.
If you pick up an older PCU, say 200W; then load the 5V to about 2A.
You then have another 14Amp plus on the 5V and probably 6A on the
12V available. Remember, if you use a resistive load, it will need to
dissipate the heat (lots of it) otherwise use something like a 12V car
headlamp bulb on the 5V which will glow dimly but will draw enough
to make the PSU happy.

Good luck.

Jim.