[simpits-tech] [digital-flight e_group] For those making custom hardware (fwd)

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 31 Mar 2003 07:14:28 -0800 (PST)

Check this out folks, it might be a good source.

g.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 23:20:54 +0100
From: Jonathan Morton <chromi@chromatix.demon.co.uk>
To: e_group@digital-flight.com
Subject: [digital-flight e_group] For those making custom hardware

...try this baby.

http://www.codemercs.com/

They have USB joystick controller chips, supporting 3 axes and 8
independent buttons, or 16 buttons in a 4x4 matrix, at very affordable
prices.  Definitely good enough to build a set of pedals, or a small
quadrant.

They also have USB chips for general I/O work, including direct support
for driving an I2C bus or a standard-type LCD display, plus PC and Mac
driver SDKs.  Again, these are the best prices and flexibility I've
seen.  I'm thoroughly impressed.

They also have keyboard and mouse controllers which support AT/serial,
PS/2, ADB, and USB on a single chip.  Not bad, but I don't see you guys
making a custom keyboard or mouse right now.  For extra buttons and
lights (GoFlight style), I'd use the general I/O chip.

For both, they carry a "starter kit" which you can use to experiment
with - it gives you all the necessary support components, plus a board
with some "work area" for your own stuff.

I must say, this is a great change from seeing "data acquisition" boxes
which cost £200 or more, just to read 20 digital TTL lines at only
100kHz (I'm being serious).