[simpits-tech] My lucky day...

Ed Henderson simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 24 Mar 2003 00:44:38 -0500

This was airshow weekend in South West Florida at the Punta Gorda
Airport.  Every year our aviation unit receives complimentary passes
from the Sheriff's Aviation Unit based at the airport and I try to make
it to the airshow at least one of the two days.  We usually park at the
Sheriff's Hangar and share war stories for a little while then watch the
show.  This year I had a mission... which was to get some detail cockpit
pics of the F/A-18 and any other military jets I could get a peek into.
 I pulled into the hangar parking area, got out of my truck and turned
to see Blue Angel #6 INSIDE the Sheriff's Hangar.  Seems that as they
were flying in for the show on Friday, BA#6 sucked large bird into the
#1 engine.  They had the engine out in an hour but the lower leading
edge of the intake was damaged and get this....   they have to get the
repair part off a mothballed F-18 out at Davis Monthon.  Talked for a
while with the maintenance personnel, very nice!  Did I say cockpit
pics??? :-)    I almost missed the show.  I did find it interesting
though that when the Blue's took to the runway this afternoon I had to
do a double take...  'cause out taxied the opposing solo pilot in Blue
Angel #6.  HuH?  Vinyl lettering is great isn't it.  All in all a great
day.  I've seen the Blue Angels perform about 10 shows and the T-bird's
maybe 6, but I have never had the opportunity to get up close to the
demo aircraft.  For you Viper drivers the F-16 demo was awesome as usual
and so was the A-10 demo.  It was really humid and the vapor trails just
made the show that much better.  The only bad news is that I set up my
camera wrong and all my airborne pics came out BAD! :-(  Oh well...
 next year.

http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/Dsc01431a.jpg
http://www.simpits.org/fileproc/files/Dsc01570a.jpg

BTW Gene...  can you add F/A-18 to the drop down list in the upload
section.  Kinda feeling left out... ;-)

Ed