[simpits-tech] Powering EPIUSB modules

Mark Doran simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sun, 16 Mar 2003 09:42:26 -0800

Ah, I answered the wrong question then.  Ooops! :-)

The "wall-wort" 12V PSU is just meant to power the actual output module
circuitry not the lamps in your setup.

Caveat: I'm the software guy for our crew so I may have mangled the
translation a bit here but this is how I understand it...

The documentation for the output module explains this a bit but you'll need
to figure out what kind of indicators you want to power and what
voltage/current they require.  For our project, the hardware guys decided to
go with a 12V and a 28V circuit.  All the "LED" type indicators are powered
off the 12V with appropriate resistors to put the right forward voltage
across the LED.  The 28V does the Korry split-face indicator lamp/switches
we have since those were designed for 28V in the first place.  Interestingly
the hardware guys replaced the incandescent bulbs in those with
life-of-the-jet LED "bulb" units (four per, just like the original bulbs) to
cut down on heat output (which is a very Good Thing(TM)) but those are
designed for 28V also.

They gave me an EMDA Pro 34 with 32 LED and resistors stuck right on it for
EPL output code testing.  It takes a 12V input to power the LEDS.  To go
with that card they gave me an HP lab bench power supply, 6284A that can
output up to 20V at 3 amps without hitting the "grey arcs" on the gauge on
the PSU.  I believe the PSU units that are plugged in to the actual cockpit
testbed hardware are rather more heavy duty than the one I have here for
testing purposes: as I recall with everything turned on the unit draws
around 3 amps on the 28V circuit alone.

All our power supplies were either in the lab already or (like the one I
have) care of eBay -- quite a useful source for things like that.

Cheers,

Mark.