[simpits-tech] F16 Canopy Frame

simpits-tech@simpits.org simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 23:31:46 -0600

Marv De Beque wrote:

> I think you have that backwards.  Kevlar requires special shears to cut it.
> It is also flexible.
>
> Carbon fiber can be cut with ordinary scissors and is very ridged.

That's what I said ;) Kevlar has somehow gotten a reputation for being
too flexible. Don't understand that at all. It's still 4 times as stiff
as glass by thickness and 12 times as stiff by weight (going off old
memory there).

> Check prices at Aircraft-Spruce.  I thought carbon fiber was cheaper.

Unless they changed their prices drastically, ordering less than enough
for an entire airframe was prohibitively expensive from AS. Fiberlay has
always been good to me so I've stuck with them. Still have a 90 pound
roll of both 22 oz. tooling cloth and 12 oz. mat sitting in the garage
that I need to do something with. Almost enough to build a 'pit shell ;)
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net