[simpits-tech] rotary switches

Alan D. Mazurka simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:37:31 -0500

--=====================_695385==_.ALT

Hi, Doug.

we've (a friend of mine, and myself) have solved the problem you describe
-  and hope to turn it into a product.

it's based on an 11-position mechanical switch which contains an internal
stop. you can adjust the stop to any number of positions - from 2 to 11. it
interfaces to a PIC which then outputs "left" and "right" TTL-level logic
pulses suitable for a hagstrom/epic/phidgets type devices. basically, the
PIC "knows" the switches' current position, and can determine if it's being
turned left or right.

i'm using 2 as a train throttle and dynamic brake. the firmware is very
mature, and they have worked rock-solid to date - so it's possible.

the "30 to 45 degree" situation cannot be supported, as this is an
11-position device, and therefore subtends a smaller arc per click.

  - adm -

At 12:15 PM 3/11/03 -0500, you wrote:
>I have a problem with normal mechanical "clicking" rotary switches. Has
>anyone come up with a method how you can have this kind of a switch
>"work" in a clockwise and counterclockwise direction. I can get it to
>work in a clockwise direction but not the other way. I'm sure some of you
>have experienced this problem and I wonder how you solved it if you have.
>I'm not talking about rotary encoders unless they can be made to have
>distinct 30 or 45 degree "clicks". Any help or advice would be
>appreciated.
>Thanks, Doug

>page.  Thanks!

----------

Alan D.
Mazurka
adm.design@verizon.net

--=====================_695385==_.ALT

Hi, Doug.<br><br>
we've (a friend of mine, and myself) have solved the problem you describe
-&nbsp; and hope to turn it into a product.<br><br>
it's based on an 11-position mechanical switch which contains an internal
stop. you can adjust the stop to any number of positions - from 2 to 11.
it interfaces to a PIC which then outputs &quot;left&quot; and
&quot;right&quot; TTL-level logic pulses suitable for a
hagstrom/epic/phidgets type devices. basically, the PIC &quot;knows&quot;
the switches' current position, and can determine if it's being turned
left or right.<br><br>
i'm using 2 as a train throttle and dynamic brake. the firmware is very
mature, and they have worked rock-solid to date - so it's
possible.<br><br>
the &quot;30 to 45 degree&quot; situation cannot be supported, as this is
an 11-position device, and therefore subtends a smaller arc per
click.<br><br>
&nbsp;- adm - <br><br>
At 12:15 PM 3/11/03 -0500, you wrote:<br>
mechanical &quot;clicking&quot; rotary switches. Has<br>
anyone come up with a method how you can have this kind of a switch<br>
&quot;work&quot; in a clockwise and counterclockwise direction. I can get
it to<br>
work in a clockwise direction but not the other way. I'm sure some of
you<br>
have experienced this problem and I wonder how you solved it if you
have.<br>
I'm not talking about rotary encoders unless they can be made to
have<br>
distinct 30 or 45 degree &quot;clicks&quot;. Any help or advice would
be<br>
appreciated.<br>
Thanks, Doug&nbsp;&nbsp; <br><br>