[simpits-tech] EPIC Quest

Frank Riedel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 11:25:09 +0100

The epiccenter keep sending me a error - can't find joyfile - when trying to
send file to EPIC
???

Frank

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Doran" <msdoran@attbi.com>
To: <simpits-tech@simpits.org>
Sent: Monday, March 10, 2003 12:43 AM
Subject: RE: [simpits-tech] EPIC Quest

Hi Frank:

You really want to use the EPICenter development tool set for EPL coding
with the EPICUSB -- if you haven't already you should grab the latest
version of that from the download area on www.flightlink.com

Ralph's docs are a little confusing sometimes I know but you should be
able to install just the package from flightlink and nothing else and
still be able to get your EPL code running.  Test128.exe and friends are
part of the old software package of tools that pre-date EPICenter -- do
not use these.

For a simple test of lighting up LEDs connected to the EPIC output
module you can do something like this:

-- EPL fragment

//
// Initial device experiements with one input and one output
//

#define FASTSCAN 0
#define OUTPUT   2

// Define exactly two input rows on module zero

definemodule(0,FASTSCAN, 0, 2)

// Define exactly one output rown on module zero

definemodule(0, OUTPUT, 0, 1)

connector(cFirstExpansion)
{
  modrow(0,1); // in this case assign second row to cFirstExpansion
};

device(dThrottleGrip)
{
  connector(cFirstExpansion);

  // INPUTS

  // one switch on M0R1B0, this matches Ralph's TM TQS mod board wiring

  button(0, 0, bT1); // first zero means the zero-th entry in
"connector"

  // OUTPUTS

  output(bits, 0, 0) {
    oMasterCaution = 0b00000001; // M0R0B1
  };

};

void INIT(void)
{
  clearpoint(0, 1, 0x00);  // blank the output bits in row 0
}

void dThrottleGrip.bT1.On(void)
{
  dThrottleGrip.bits.oMasterCaution = on;
}

void dThrottleGrip.bT1.Off(void)
{
  dThrottleGrip.bits.oMasterCaution = off;
}

-- end fragment

The symbolic names in the above are just labels that I've used to match
our hardware layout.  You can change all of those (cFirstExpansion,
dThrottleGrip, bits, bT1, oMasterCaution in particular) to any naming
convention that you like of course.  In reality our Master Caution lamp
isn't part of the TQS device but to keep the code small for you I just
Imported it in the one device rather than add to the confusion with more
than one device definition -- devices are allowed to mix inputs,
outputs, displays etc.).

I did compile and test the above fragment just to make sure I'm not
giving you duff code.  It works so that when you press T1 on the TQS (or
whatever switch you change this to) the lamp comes on and then when you
release the button, the lamp goes out.

Mark a fresh project and paste that EPL code in.  The code presumes that
you have one switch connected to Module 0, row 1 bit 0 and an LED or
Lamp or whatever to Module 0, row 0, bit 0.  Make sure you have the
output module jumpers set so that it is addressing the right rows.
Build the code in EPICenter.  Download it from EPICenter.  Try it out.

If you have something other than the switch and the LED wired to the
places suggested above, you will need to modify this a bit of course.
Once you have one working though, you'll get the pattern pretty quickly
and the rest should be easy (well sort of! ;-)

Hmm, now that I think about it, you may need to ask Ralph for a newer
compiler -- not sure if the one at flightlink has been updated lately
and the syntax above for output bits I use above is new-ish.  It is
however, much easier to deal with than the old syntax so I'd recommend
jumping straight to this one.  I'm using v55 with EEPROM 0x2EEB.

Good luck.

Cheers,

Mark.