[simpits-tech] Rotating monitor image

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 16:35:34 -0500

Does anyone know of a driver, utility, gizmo, or whatever that will rotate
Windows 90 degrees on a monitor? This odd little diskless computer thing I'm
working on might wind up with a widescreen LCD that would work much, much
better if it was tall instead of wide. But then it might not. Hmm... hall
effect sensor on the front wheel, inductive pickup on a plug wire,
thermistor in a water hose... Yup, that would be pretty cool. Have Windows
run my instrument panel ;)

I did figure out how to stuff Windows onto a Compact Flash card and make
everything work (though I haven't tried it yet). Fire up machine, start a
Ramdrive, install Windows to it, then copy the ramdrive to the CF card.
Takes a little fiddling with autoexec.bat and config.sys files to get
everything to do what it needs to do when it needs to do it, but it'll work.
The other solution is to force windows to write temp files and virtual
memory to the ramdrive and leave the OS itself on the CF card. Everything
will work fine except for the huge pile of temp files trashing the CF card
in 3 hours.

Another use for this thing, though it's probably overkill at $500/ea., would
be as an MFD. Completely self contained, just give it power and stick it on
the network.
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net