[simpits-tech] Leaving for EHAM2003 [virus checked]

Erwin Neyt simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 10 Jun 2003 18:07:10 +0200

Here's a report on last weekend's event EHAM 2003.

This weekend was organized by FlightDeck Solutions
(www.flightdecksolutions.com) and the public was mainly MSFS users
building their 7X7 or Airbus pits. It was two days of presentation about
all the aspects of building a simulator platform, really interesting
stuff was presented.

_switching to plug mode_

It was also my first appearance as the new member of the Sim-Instruments
team and we presented our new FSIS system with some prototype
instruments. People were totally amazed about the fidelity of these
instruments and we got real confirmation that we have a product you all
have been waiting for. The concept of this system is so unique and
require so much explaining that even after an hour long presentation by
Marc and Jim, people still could barely grasp the possibilities of this
new system. I too (working on the development of the system) keep
finding new possibilities every day. We will be updating our web site
(www.sim-instruments.com) shortly to reflect the latest developments.
The coming months we'll be releasing a variety of instruments (incl. the
F-16 ones).

The problem is now how to get the functionality of the system described.
There are just to much possibilities. It will not only support our
instruments (with build in controllers) but also other controllers to
attach to input/output devices (like switches, rotaries, lamps, leds, or
even existing real instruments). almost all the hard- and software is
done in-house so we can implement very quickly any custom requirements
for a not yet supported system. Also FSIS will support MSFS and Falcon4,
so no programming or scripting required.

The instruments are also indescribable, just have to see them. We are
using custom steppers which give an ultimate smooth motion (4000 steps
per revolution) and are extremely quiet. The instrument does not
directly 'display' a value as it is read from the sim. These value(s)
are first fed into a software model (which runs inside the instrument
controller) before it is translated to actual needle motion. This allows
us to give the needle the exact look of the real instrument, like
acceleration/deceleration and/or other mechanical characteristics of the
needle. Also the model can take into account values not available by the
sim. For example, the ASI read the KIAS from the sim, but can also read
values like static pressure or pitot icing (from an external fault
system), and take these into account as well (before showing it). This
means that faults introduced into the system will cascade to all the
instruments affected, automatically. All these instruments are
plug&play. no configuration, calibration or programming required.

We are still in full development (although the prototypes are fully
operational), so it will still take a few months before we can deliver.

_leaving plug mode_

I also showed my new version of the almost finished F4 Glass (& F4 Data
Mirror) and I will release them in two weeks. Also I plan to do a
(hardware-accelerated) 3D OpenGL version, called F4 Glass Pro..

All in all a very exiting weekend for me, and I hope you forgive my
shameless plug of our new products. But in my opinion this new system
will really be something a lot of pitbuilders have been waiting for.

cheers,

Erwin Neyt
Sim-Instruments bv
F-16 Development.