[simpits-tech] Maplin Suck

Bubba simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:14:04 -0500

Roy Coates wrote:
> Hoping to build my new MFD this weekend, I called my local electronics
> shop Maplin - to see if they had the switches I need in stock.
>
> Not surprisingly, No - I'd have to phone through an order to head
> office.
>
> I make the call and ask for a next-day delivery. Now remember this is
> for 8 small switches totalling 15UKP including tax. The next day
> delivery
> charge?  another 15 quid!
>
> Needless to say, I won't be building my MFD this weekend :(
>
> ARSE.

What's the exchange rate? 1 of yours to .8 of ours?

Sounds about like the fun I've been having. I need a few odd parts for the
new bike, mainly a pair of 12x100mm bolts. I can get all the 12x90 and
12x110 bolts I want, even in PC8.8, but these have to be exactly 100mm long
so they don't go through the cylinder head. Cost from Kawasaki: $8 each.
Anyone in town have 'em? Yeah, right. Grrr...

I considered getting some really long bolts, cutting 'em off and rethreading
on the lathe. Fortunately the previous owner found the ones he took out to
put in the frame sliders and is sending them this weekend, God willing.

Back to switches, I found an easy, though not extremely cheap, source of
switch guards. AutoZone has them in the riceboy section for about $8 each.
I've been spending too much time in that rather embarrassing aisle. It seems
that LEDs are very popular with pseudo-fast cars and much, much cheaper than
the motorcycle equivilant. I now have the smallest rear turn signals in the
known universe. They consist of an 8mm bolt, bored through, with a single
red LED in each. They sit on either side of the trailer light I used for the
tail light. Suprisingly it's quite bright and has been nicknamed the Fires
of Hell tail light. I showed it to my wife and first she said "that's as
bright as your brake light gets?" Then I squoze the lever. "HOLY $#!+!!!!,
TURN THAT THING OFF!"

Yup, it'll do. :)

Now back to the hell I call "painting the solo tail" or, more appropriately
"fixing the paint I put on the solo tail that doesn't want to stay there
while I wet sand." The things I endure to look good at 150 MPH...
--
Steve
mysticz28@swbell.net