[simpits-tech] First Helopit pictures

Rob Hommel simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 4 Jun 2003 02:13:54 -0700

When doing cider you do not need to use a yeast, apple juice is a naturally
fermenting liquid. It has it's own yeasts already available. I have used
some pretty exotic yeasts in the past I had some friends who went into
business making yeast cultures, his wife was rather tolerant of such things.
I thought it was a great deal of hassle. I keep strains of yeast as long as
I could if I got good results. Champagne yeast is not one of the better
yeasts for most things and especially not if you are going for high alcohol
yields. I can't make any recommendations any more as I no longer do home
brew and as a result have lost touch with the finer parts of the science. As
if baking bread was a science as well.

Apple cider will go through several fermentation cycles, as a result you may
think it has stopped fermentation only to have the fermentation begin anew.
I found that after about three fermentation cycles I started to become
impatient so I would go ahead and start the tripe squeeze freeze process.

Cider really should not have a fizz to it. Unlike many other products cider
should be sippin' stuff more like a wine not a fizzling thing suitable to
shoot your neighbor with. We referred to the apple cider as factory
squeezing. Don't ask me why, I think we were a bit drunk when we named it..

Mmmm..mead, you might want to try an alcoholic ginger ale sometime, good
things happen drinking that stuff in the summer with beautiful women. Maybe
they only look that way.

Keep 'em Flying
Rob Hommel