[simpits-tech] hud pic...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 08:57:02 -0700 (PDT)

Due to a discussion ongoing at Frugal's, I dropped the HUD into the jet
and took a few pics.

http://www.f15sim.com/images/hud_view3.jpg
http://www.f15sim.com/images/hud_left.jpg

I never realized how much volume this thing really ate up until I got it
installed.  It's *huge*.

The blue area is tape that Rob placed there to protect the main lens.
That lens is 2" thick - I think it's the only reason it wasn't cracked.

The stuff on the combiner glasses is bubble wrap that i left in place to
keep the glass fragments from shifting.

Rob - I think we should pull the windscreen for a while.  We're going to
need the access to properly route wire for the new components.  There's
no reason to make you keep playing pretzel-boy. ;)

I was notified by one of my helpful crew-elves that a Boeing rep was going
to be on his base today.  He's going to ask him for detail on how to
remove that retaining ring for the primary lens - barring that he'll find
out the best way to get access to that space.  I also found the power
connectors for the HUD and VSD camera interface modules - they were in the
bag of parts that were attached to the HUD tray.

g.