[simpits-tech] LCD's ect.....

Marv De Beque simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 04 Jul 2003 05:39:02 -0400

Welcome to the group.

I work for Honeywell and have intimate experience with the displays and lamp
assemblies you speak of.  That's the department I work in.

The good new is that most simulators don't need the rugged, high purity,
filtered, and color balanced glass as a real aircraft.

Conventional backlit panels will do very nicely since you don't have to
contend with bright sunlight streaming into the cockpit at every angle
imaginable.

It's not the FAA that is really picky, but the pilots that drive glass
specifications.  The FAA will evaluate it, but the real sweat and tears come
from the mountain of paper work that we produce to back up our design.

As a matter of fact, that is exactly where I off to now.  Our 3-day holiday
has been canceled because we need to make a Monday deadline to submit our
design documents.  Our software design document is about 1,400 pages and one
of our test documents is 2,800 pages.  All this for a 5ATI MFRD display
(uses off-the-shelf glass with filters on the glass and specialized
backlight assembly).

I am figuring I will put in 30 hours this weekend.

Marv