[simpits-tech] F-16 MFD bezels...and Square displays

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 07:09:58 -0700 (PDT)

> Dear Gene,
> Still not clear why sim instruments need to be flight certifiable. In fact,
> I have been looking for a square aspect display which is non-certified.
> - Mish

Mish, Tannas doesn't build "simulator grade" parts.  They specifically
state "...making _avionics grade_ AMLCDs available..." (my emphasis)

Because the vast majority of LCD applications don't require a 1:1 aspect
ratio display, the market for those is very small.  This makes them
insanely expensive because of low production volume.  Even the 5x5 CRT
that Thomas Electronics builds is not a true 1:1 display.  It's very close
though.

Sim instruments are typically not flight certified.  In fact, every piece
of simulator specific avonics I've got has a red tag on it that reads,
"Simulator Use Only. Do Not Install in Aircraft".

Also understand that because commercial simulators are rated for loggable
flight instruction, they MUST be as close as possible to the real
aircraft, especially with regard to flight instrumentation.  Because of
this, there is little difference between flight-certified avionics and
uncertified avionics.  The manufacturer may just pull a few units off the
line, slap a "simulator use only" sticker on them and ship the device to
CaE or whoever.  In fact, the Boeing 777 flight simulator only uses flight
certified avionics because of how the simulator was designed.

g.