[simpits-tech] F-16 MFD bezels...

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 21:13:01 -0700 (PDT)

> Thanks for all the hardwork you have been putting into our F16pit
> development Gene. You must be enjoying it :) You must be thinking of
> building one yaself :)
> J/k

Nah, gotta keep you guys motivated. :)

> More serious now, I know Dave from UK who is a tool maker and have
> previously machined some of the bezels alone in metal. Cant remember how it
> cost (prehaps Dave wants to fill in?). Will be interesting to see what kind
> of price we can get as a group. But the other option is the real simulator
> MFDs and ICP replica with actual PC interface. I am thinking the later as a
> good way to solve the whole function and building of the MFD structure (kill
> two bird with one stone)... if they are really good and look real.
>
> For high end builder, who's going to build everything themselves including
> the electronic components. The bezels alone will be a good choice.

This company builds assemblies for military and commercial simulators.
They're made just like the real thing and just like the real thing.  What
I asked about was the collar itself with a connector off the back to
interface to the switch matrix that it has.

As soon as I know where the base price is, I'll let you guys know asap.

He did mention that not requireing NVIS compatibility would greatly reduce
the cost.  I told him to quote me a price for a basic bezel with switches
an "standard" lighting.  We'll see what comes out of this.

Because of what this company produces, I'd like to point business at them
if at all possible.  There are a _lot_ of F-16 builders that are not on
the Simpits list.  I bet the guys over at Frugals will go nuts if the
price is reasonable.  I'm realistically expecting at least $100 each if
not more.  Keep your fingers crossed.

g.