[simpits-tech] Adapter Boxes

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 12:51:50 +0000

Ed,

I already build civilian-to-pc boxes, and now I have a guy (C-130 Crew Chief
no less) who is sending me the parts to make him a military-to-pc box. BUT
if I can find the right parts, I might be able to start offering
military-to-pc for EVERYONE (not just those who can find and send me the
parts) as well as civilian-to-military or military-to-civilian. That last
one is iffy, though, as none of these things are intended to actually be
used in flight. I can put in all the warnings I think are necessary, but
just my luck some idiot will try it, have it fail, exploit some loophole and
sue me for all I'm worth - which aint much. But the civil to military would
be useful for you pit guys, methinks - if you want to build a military jack
in, but don't necessarily want to fly with that big bulky helmet all the
time.

Anyway, right now I'm really looking for the military style jack. Plugs
would be nice, too.

Brian

----Original Message Follows----
From: Ed Henderson <aircop@comcast.net>
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Adapter Boxes
Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2003 23:09:35 -0500

Brian I may have misunderstood what you are looking for...  what parts do
you need?  I am also not sure about the purpose of  "the box", but I assume
that the box is the interface to connect  "civilian" headsets to the
computer and that this setup works.  I also assume that you have a
"military" helmet with mic and earphones and you need a female jack.  I
might just have one used female jack lying around in my garage???

There are only two ways to civilianize a military helmet....  buy a
converter...
http://www.watkinsaviation.com/wa/store/catalog/product.asp?PC=6505
$89.00
http://www.vargaair.com/85.html
$69.00
http://www.edmo.com/s6/s6-41.asp
$??.??

or replace the mic and earphones.
avg $70.00 for the mic
avg $40.00 for the earphones

Unfortunately all that stuff has "FAA PMA" stamped on it so YOU wind up
paying the liability insurance price.

Ed

--