[simpits-tech] Force Feedback

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 23 Jan 2003 18:25:28 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2C30C.CE566EB0

No I haven't built it yet...but I think it's a great idea!

For a prop fighter, I'd like to simulate something close to the real forces from the stick and rudder.  So
much of the experience of flying a pre fly-by-wire plane would be the physical part of pushing back on the
forces from the control surfaces. I've read these forces are 100's of pounds during heavy maneuvering. I've
thought that a real force-feedback system where stick and rudder forces are reproduced would be a tremendous
improvement in immersion and SA. You could get an aerobic workout while dogfighting. :)

I have worked on the pneumatics that could drive such a rig.  I'd use electronic pressure regulators("I/P" or
E/P transducers) I've bought them on eBay for as little as $10:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3308016001&category=11806

I've also modified a standard regulator to work with a R/C servo and phidget.  I send a proportional
signal(voltag or PWM) to the regulator and drive a pneumatic cylinder with the regulated pressure.  The beauty
of the regulator is that it maintains a constant pressure regardless of the cylinder motion: i.e.. when you
push back the regulator relieves the increased pressure due to the stroke.  It feels very natural.

You'd only need 3 sets for stick(x & y axes) and rudder(1 with switching valve).

Craig R.

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Akin, Keenan L
Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:28 PM
To: SIMPITS
Subject: [simpits-tech] Force Feedback

Has anyone tried building their own force feedback actuators to use with FF supported sims?

Keenan

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C2C30C.CE566EB0

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<META content=3D"MSHTML 6.00.2800.1126" name=3DGENERATOR></HEAD>
<BODY>
<P><FONT size=3D2>No I haven't built it yet...but I think it's a great=20
idea!&nbsp;<BR><BR>For a prop fighter, I'd like to simulate something =
close to=20
the real forces from the stick and rudder.&nbsp; So much of the =
experience of=20
flying a pre fly-by-wire plane would be the physical part of pushing =
back on the=20
forces from the control surfaces. I've read these forces are 100's of =
pounds=20
during heavy maneuvering. I've thought that a real force-feedback system =
where=20
stick and rudder forces are reproduced would be a tremendous improvement =
in=20
immersion and SA. You could get an aerobic workout while dogfighting.=20
:)<BR><BR>I have worked on the pneumatics that could drive such a =
rig.&nbsp; I'd=20
use electronic pressure regulators("I/P" or E/P transducers) I've bought =
them on=20
eBay for as little as $10:<BR><A=20
href=3D"http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3D33080160=
01&amp;category=3D11806"=20
target=3D_blank>http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=3D=
3308016001&amp;category=3D11806</A><BR><BR>I've=20
also modified a standard regulator to work with a R/C servo and =
phidget.&nbsp; I=20
send a proportional signal(voltag or PWM) to the regulator and drive a =
pneumatic=20
cylinder with the regulated pressure.&nbsp; The beauty of the regulator =
is that=20
it maintains a constant pressure regardless of the cylinder motion: =
i.e.. when=20
you push back the regulator relieves the increased pressure due to the=20
stroke.&nbsp; It feels very natural.<BR><BR>You'd only need 3 sets for =
stick(x=20
&amp; y axes) and rudder(1 with switching valve).<BR><BR>Craig=20
R.<BR><BR><BR>-----Original Message-----<BR>From:=20
simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org<BR>[<A=20
href=3D"mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org"=20
target=3D_blank>mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org</A>]On Behalf Of =
Akin,=20
Keenan L<BR>Sent: Thursday, January 23, 2003 2:28 PM<BR>To: =
SIMPITS<BR>Subject:=20
[simpits-tech] Force Feedback<BR><BR><BR>Has anyone tried building their =
own=20
force feedback actuators to use with FF supported=20
mailing list<BR>Simpits-tech@simpits.org<BR><A=20