[simpits-tech] Motion...

Craig Rochester simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 17:30:02 -0500

Hi John,

Sorry to take so long to reply.  VR or simulated reality deals with the
complex relationships between the visual and motion cues.  While I'm
interested in motion platforms, I'm pursuing cues provided from a G-suit,
and "helmet loader".  I find the literature a bit over my head, particularly
when it talks about the physiology (i.e.. "vestibular response").  As an
engineer, "just give me the specs". :)  I'd like to nail down the specs for
what mechanical/controls devices will deliver believable cues.

The commercial simulators are designed to deliver sufficient cues for pilots
to be trained.  They're pilots and already know how it feels.  I want to
experience this as closely as possible, so have a bit different intent.

 I've got a good G-suit system working that feels good: fast proportional
response that feels right when flying Falcon4.  I'm working on a
head-tracked HMD coupled to a "helmet loader" design:
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/vrvision/id12.html

Here are performance specs it would be helpful to nail down:

* Vision system's FOV, resolution, update rate (FPS)...
* Minimum helmet loader axes(DOF), force magnitudes, acceleration rates,
latencies
* Safety limits for preventing injury

Would you consider taking a crack at figuring out what performance
parameters might result in a system that will work?

Thanks,

Craig