[simpits-tech] F-16 parts

Chris Crowley simpits-tech@simpits.org
Sat, 18 Jan 2003 16:05:00 -0500

Hi Keenan,
Your not biased, you work for a great company that has a wonderful heritage
in military aviation. I do think that the cost of the F22 will preclude it
replacing the F-16 or the hornet (assuming a navalized version is ever
developed).

The JSF is envisioned to do that. It has the international support required
as well as the full backing of DoD.

I am really impressed with the F22, I would love to see it replace the
F/A-18 and give us back the high bomb load and range capability we are about
to lose. However it's just not practical. We will have to rely on upgrades
to the super hornet and a fleet that sails closer to the shore for that.

Chris Crowley

-----Original Message-----
From: simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org
[mailto:simpits-tech-admin@simpits.org]On Behalf Of Akin, Keenan L
Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 11:04 AM
To: 'simpits-tech@simpits.org'
Subject: RE: [simpits-tech] F-16 parts

At the risk of being perceived as biased (I work on the F/A-18 program), the
A-6 was retired primarily due to age associated maintenance costs.  It was
definitely one of the great bomb trucks (along with the A-7).

It is way too early to assume that the JSF will replace anything (can you
say F-22?).

It will be tough to replace the A-10 with anything other than another A-10.

Keenan