[simpits-tech] Ready made gauges

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 09:28:21 -0800 (PST)

> > Gene,
> >         I'm interested in the Octal Rotary Encoder but I have a question
> > for you or anyone else; will this encoder work for a rotary switch with
> > fixed detents and a knob that points to markings on the panel. Any advice
> > would be appreciated.
>

> for regular rotary switches Hagstrom's M4 might be a cheaper option.
> This can recognise direction of rotation which is kinda handy and will
> interface directly with the KE72 controller too.

He's describing a normal rotary switch that would work fine with a KE72
without the M4 gadget.

> sorry gene, I know epic rules the roost but we can't all afford one!

EPIC quit ruling the roost the day the first Phidget was shipped.

Because of the advent of Chester's Phidget line, the flight simulator
hardware market is beginning to polarize.  The EPIC system is becoming
more at home in the rarified air of more commercial ventures due to its
high initial cost.

The Phidgets are providing nearly identical function at 25% of the cost
for an equivalent EPIC configuration.  This _really_ lowers the bar of
entry for the home cockpit builder.  This is a Good Thing(tm).

I own both the ISA and USB EPICs and it's a very solid, high quality
product.  However, just by its cost alone it's not for everyone.

I've also got a whole fist full of Phidgets with a bunch more on the way,
including the 0/256/0 256 input Phidget.  When I get a chance, I'll post a
full review of all the Phidgets I've got.  This will give you folks a good
idea of how they work and how they can be used.

BTW, Ray's rotary encoder boards can talk to both the EPIC and the
Hagstrom keyboard encoders.  They should also work just fine with any of
the Phidget input devices.

g.