[simpits-tech] Boeing 747-100 Cockpit / Control Cabin!! NR!

P Cos simpits-tech@simpits.org
Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:55:26 +0000

Folks,
If I may add some perspective.
I work for a large company that manufactures Flight Training Devices.
One of the things that knocked my socks off when I started was the "Sticker
Shock!".... I was dumbfounded by what I heard the $$$$ were on alot of the
manufactured parts.

For those of you that were in shock over the B767 Hull.. Consider this:
That unit could be the basis for an Airline Flight Training Device (FTD).
A decent constructor would use that and build to it. Keep in mind that a new
B767 runs 120 million. To replicate the flightdeck to the level required for
the Higher FAA levels is quite costly. In many cases they end up using real
parts as it cost the same vs the reverse engineering that may be required.
Example: the key components in that Flightdeck that would be worth a fortune
are:
B757/767 Throttle Unit (Value: $15,000us)
B757/767 Yokes (Value without Control Loaders: $6,000us)
B767 Rudder Pedal Assemblies ($3,000us)
the rest is gravy and saves the FTD manufacturor at least another 20-40 in
engineering and development costs.
To make a decent Shell would require many man hours of engineering and and
design, molding etc. Count on $20,000 by the time overheads and everything
are added in.

The average price of an A320 or B737 Flight Training Device (No visual and
no motion) is between $800,000 and 1.4 million. Fact.

I can relate to the comments though. I did that when I started.. Now when I
hear that the F18 Control Loaders will run 17,000 each I simply say "wow" ..
(I shake my head when I go around the corner instead of in front of
everyone!)

Two completely different worlds. Just thought I would relate abit about what
I learnt having spent a year on this side of the wall as well as been home
builder. (The trick is to learn and "de-engineer" to make things for our
world!)....
Take care guys... PC

Fo