[simpits-tech] HUD/Reflector Gun Sight question

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 13 Jan 2003 09:29:50 -0800 (PST)

> I understand that modern HUD combiner glasses have multiple types of
> coatings and treatments that remedy this and other problems.  However, I was
> under the impression that WWII Reflector Gun Sights used plain ol'
> glass/plexiglas (of course, I could be wrong).  The easy answer is to use a
> reflector pane that is very thin.  The only issue there is that it doesn't
> look like an authentic reflector sight.

I thought even the old ones used the method I described, but I could be
wrong. Again. :)  If you want, http://www.warbird-parts.com has a Mk 8,
Mod 8 gunsight as used in Corsairs, etc. for $135.  If nothing else, it
would save you a lot of work and look pretty cool too. :)

> As far as focus, I am making my own sight, not using a real one ($$$).  I
> just wondered if anyone else had done this and what lenses they used.

You might want to contact the folks at Edmund Scientific.  They've got a
pretty extensive optics catalog and I bet they've got someone on staff
that could help you out.  If you build your own, I'm going to prod you for
an article about it. *Huge Grin*

g.