[simpits-tech] Using real instruments

Marc Teichtahl (mteichta) simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 9 Jan 2003 15:47:29 +0100

Keenan,

Ill come back to you all with a more detailed description later.

But, just to wet your appitie:

We are offering a complete plug and play solution supporting some 4000
instruments types and over 20 functional components such as radios,
throttles etc. All instruments have dimmable integral lighting where
appropriate.

If we don't have the ones you want in our generic list we can do a
custom build for you. All we will require is the the face graphics and
some basic operational information.

The system will comprise of a microcontroller based interface unit (USB
in CANbus out), some PC driver software supporting MS FS, CFS, X-Plane,
Falcon and PS1.3. Project Magenta is also supported and a number of
instruments. Every instrument is "intelligent" with its own
microcontroller.

The instruments support up to 8 moving axis, upto 8 flags, 16 ASCII
digits, 16 Digital I/O, 2 driven PWM ports and 2 open collector PWM
ports. We even have a 360 degree full motion (for those aerobatics
people) HIS/AH;-). The sheer number of axis and flags means we can
replicate and/or retro fit the most complex instruments available.

This system has been developed for proffesional training systems and we
are "scaling" it down to support the price and feature requirements of
the hobbyist market. This means we have a very cost effective solution
that wont hurt the hip ocket too much.

If you have specific requirements you feel we should address please let
me know (marct@sim-instruments.com)

Furthermore, the insturments are a small part of our entire product
range. We offer complete cockpits, desktop trainers, parts, and custom
components.

Using the same controller we support the following systems

	Engines 			- Upto 8 engines per aircraft
(piston and/or turbine ( turbo prop) )
	Electrical Systems	- Models will be provided for each
aircraft type where the FS doesn't support the
					  required parameters. As for
the Systems below.
	Hydraulics Systems
	Air Systems
	Fuel Systems
	Avionics System
	Communications Systems
	Lighting Systems
	Emergency Systems
	Flight Control Systems
	Payload Systems

We will also have the corresponding components (type specific). For
example radio heads, MCP, FMS, complete working overhead panels etc.

We are offering a complete SDK allowing the user to talk to our
interface unit in order to write their own systems. This SDK will have a
small associated cost but will allow the end user to completely
customise his/her cockpit. Alternative, we can do the custom work for
you.

We expect to come to market Mid to late march with the instruments and a
little later in the year with other parts.

At the moment we are primarily focusing on the civilian transport
market. This is soley due to customer demand. However, I would
appreciate any feedback that will give me ammunition to change our
release targets to meet you needs sooner.

I look forward to giving you more information as we get closer to
release.

If you have any questions please contact me (marct@sim-instruments.com)