[simpits-tech] Using real instruments

Rochester, Craig simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 8 Jan 2003 12:25:27 -0500

I think there may be a very good solution to using the real instruments that
work on pressure.  Several instruments work on a couple of pressures:
http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/PSSI.htm
<http://www.allstar.fiu.edu/aero/PSSI.htm>

Altimeter - barometric pressure
Speed (Pitot Tube) = velocity pressure - barometric pressure
Mach Speed = velocity pressure - barometric pressure
Vertical Speed Indicator = delta barometric pressure(instrument connects to
barometric pressure)
MSL = barometric pressure

These instruments could be connected to a compressed air and vacuum sources
controlled by electronic pressure regulators.  I've got something similar
working with Falcon4 to provide pressure to a G-Suit:
http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpict
ures/new_gsuit_regulator.jpg
<http://pages.zdnet.com/johncraigrochester/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpic
tures/new_gsuit_regulator.jpg>

Send the flight sim's barometric pressure and pitot tube's velocity pressure
values as a proportional signal to the electronic regulator.  Connect the
regulators' outputs to the instrument's manifolds.  It works on paper. :-)