[simpits-tech] Wiring of POT and EPL

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:41:40 -0800 (PST)

> 1- in an instrument that only needs to drive a pointer or something of
> similar low
>     mass, the RX type synchro/resolver will receive a three phase AC signal
> PLUS
>     a reference signal (also AC at the same frequency) from the TX
> synchro/resolver
>     in the sensor device.

I didn't want to mention the reference signal, I figured it would just
muddy up things further. :)

> Now with any luck, I have completely lost most of you, but believe me, the
> 400Hz AC
> signal IS being used. If anyone really wants to know how these things work,
> I can point
> them to some URLs that give a full treatise on the subject.

Which brings me back to my original point: there is no such thing as a DC
driven synchro. :)

> Sorry for the lengthy input, but I could see a couple of you coming to
> blows over this.

Naw, we'd stop at spitballs and wedgies. ;)

> BTW, in the simulator systems that these instruments come from, the AC
> signals are
> generated by the expensive chips mentioned earlier. You just dont get given
> that part
> of the system when you buy the instrument.

It would be nice if someone would come up with a method of driving a
synchro that didn't require one of those stupidly expensive Digital to
Synchro coverters.  It's a  10 to 12 bit ADC fer chrissakes.  It's _not_
rocket science!

g.