[simpits-tech] Nyaa! First instrument :)

Roy Coates simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 28 Feb 2003 12:50:05 +0000 (GMT)

On Sat, 1 Mar 2003, Sean Galbraith wrote:

> It *is* great when you see the first thing work... I remember staring in
> awe as I tuned my XPNDR and the 7seg LED's changed...small things.... ahem,
> more gin vicar?

Oh I'm certainly nowhere near the first to do such things, but given that
99.99% of my work is purely software - having hardware react really gives
me a buzz :)

> >The servo's react too quickly, the movement of the needle feels wrong so I
> >suspect each instrument will need a 'personality' built into the driver
> >code to mimic damping etc but one step at a time :)
>
> That may well be the hard part (from a non-programmer, it looks like
> white-mans magic to me!) but if you get it right it'll blow away the
> average observer :)

It shouldn't be too difficult to introduce a lag factor and some damping.
I hope.

> We wants piccies now :)

Oh they'll come. Just about everything I do these days (err, no - not
that!) gets photographed.

> Sean <who's flying round the world, in realtime online...so will be up for
> another 30 hours or so....>

Mad... quite mad ;)

Roy.