[simpits-tech] Another abuser....

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:09:48 -0800 (PST)

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Ken Trager wrote:

> Gene
>
> Why would anyone want to "grab" a whole website??

The problem is not in obtaining the content, but _how_ it's obtained.

If you use your browser or ftp program to grab all the files one at a
time, your impact on the available bandwidth is minimal.  However, if you
use a tool like "wget" that opens dozens of simultaneous download streams,
you effectively perform a Denial of Service attack on the system because
it's eating up most or all of the available bandwith.  The end result is a
slow or unresponsive web and ftp site.

As to why?  I have no idea.  My only concern is the availability and
security of the resources I maintain here.  If some asshat thinks he can
get away with being selfish and denying access to those resources by his
own witless acts, he's for damn sure wrong.  I'll stop him so hard his
neck'll snap. :)

g.