[simpits-tech] Networking

Stig Joergensen simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 17:45:01 +0100

** Cross-posted from Chat as someone else might be able to use info
aswell (and it is more technical than chat anyway) **

Jay....

Ill try to answer you question the best i can - im not that fluid in
network topologies....

if the server requires either the use of UDP or "reverse connect" (from
the server to the client) then it will require that client to be visible
on the internet, and in this case he is not because he's on a private
range ip, but because he can browse the internet he must be behind a
NAT-router that translates the private ip to a public ip (but not the
other way around) then he will be "seen" on the internet as the public
ip - much like me, im 192.168.2.18 (private) but seen on the net as
62.242.237.140 this is what NAT is - "Name and Address Translation"

but there is a solution called PAT (Port to Address Translation), this
work the other way.... example; mail delivery is on port 23 and if you
connect to my public ip (62.242.237.140) on port 23 my firewall/router
is set to forward that connection to my mail server 192.168.2.2, this
way my email server is now seen on the internet but only on port 23...

so for this to work you must have access to the public router and
configure that incoming request on a static port must be routed to the
private ip (or have someone to do it) but i doubt that any ISP (or cable
provider - as i suspect) will allow/do this as it present a major
security risk.

Hope that helped just a little..... if you need more clarification just
ask....

/Stig