[simpits-tech] VB Code to strip digits apart

Gordan Sikic simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 19 Feb 2003 12:22:42 +0100

Hi everybody,

I'd like to add few comments about compilers:

>Borland C++ v5.5  (downloadable from http://www.borland.com)
>Open Watcom C     (downloadable from http://www.openwatcom.com)
>Cygwin gcc        (downloadable from http://www.cygwin.org)

All are excellent products, and are C and  C++ compilers as well.

For borland compiler, FreeCommandLineTools.something should be
downloaded, but the debugger is in different archive and should be
downloaded separately. I strongly suggest to do it.  After installing,
two files need to be created by hand, in bin directory: bcc32.cfg, and
ilink32.cfg. As someone already stated, if you need help, just ask. I
learned C (and C++) using tc (old Borland's compiler) and have always
liked (adored) borland's products. Using this compiler, you'll be up and
running in almost no time. If you fall in love with this compiler, it is
possible to switch to complete "Borland's builder" , which is roughly
similar to VC programming environment.

Watcom:
excellent compiler suite!
but, I have downloaded a year ago V11.0 (or was it V12.0?), but it came
without win32 SDK, since it was propriety of M$, ant it was to be
downloaded separately, from M$ url.  In the meantime, new version of
openwatcom was published, but I haven't had any chance to try it :(

gcc, classics!
very reliable,  produces nice code, has everything included,.....
Primary difference compared to other compilers is that evolution of this
compiler is ruled by technical reasons only, without involving economic
ones.  On the other hand, it is a "unix like" compiler,  running within
unix shell on windoze. You should be familiar with unix command line in
order to use it. On the other hand, it is possible to create windoze
program (or library) that will run without unix shell. If you opt for
this compiler, be sure to download complete cygwin suite, not gcc only.

I earn money using VC6.0, it's not free (and I don't like it, personal
opinion only), but I have to state that almost all open source, if
ported to windoze has direct port to VC. I also have to admit that MSDN
is  excellent help system. On the other hand, code produced by other
compilers is (very) comparable to the code made using VC, and I wouldn't
like to make any statements here.  I've heard that VC7.0 command line
compiler is freely downloadable from M$, but don't know any details.

ciao,

Gordan