[simpits-tech] Falcon4 Data

Erwin Neyt simpits-tech@simpits.org
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 16:14:58 +0100

Gene,

> I think you're barking up the wrong tree in trying to shove
> bitmaps down a network link.  The volume of data and work
> require is just *way* too much.

I just put 4 four color 300x300 bitmap @ 10 fps in a 400kbps vid stream.
It's what you consider *way* too much. I use a 100BaseT connection to the
display system, which could be dedicated if needed.

> You have to think like a avionics tech and not a game programmer. :)

I am neither :)

> The real system (FLIR, DED, whatever) collects data from
> various sources and then uses that data to create the display
> that's shown in the cockpit. Why not take that approach with
> F4?  Write an application that acts like an MFD.

> Collect the
> raw input data from F4 data stream that feeds the in-game MFD
> and display it on your new black-box application.

Problem is: there is no Flacon data stream, just some flight data.

> I'm sure
> it won't be easy, but it'll work a lot better than trying to
> compress and move megabyte after megabyte of bitmap data
> across a network link.

If I look at all the variables involved in creating MFD/HUD images, it also
is a lot of data. And with this solution the images have to be rendered
externally, which can lead to errors and inconsistencies, not to speak of
the coding work involved.

What I want to say is I am a lazy basterd, and want to get away with
copying, rather than re-creating the thing.:)

Erwin.