[simpits-tech] Falcon4 Data

Gene Buckle simpits-tech@simpits.org
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:52:34 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Stig Joergensen wrote:

> Erwin,
>
> I agree with your "feeling"... but atleast it can be done in the current
> state and dont require DXxxxx
>
> and from a coding point of view, i might not be that hard.....

I think you're barking up the wrong tree in trying to shove bitmaps down a
network link.  The volume of data and work require is just *way* too much.

You have to think like a avionics tech and not a game programmer. :)

The real system (FLIR, DED, whatever) collects data from various sources
and then uses that data to create the display that's shown in the cockpit.
Why not take that approach with F4?  Write an application that acts like
an MFD.  Collect the raw input data from F4 data stream that feeds the
in-game MFD and display it on your new black-box application.  I'm sure it
won't be easy, but it'll work a lot better than trying to compress and
move megabyte after megabyte of bitmap data across a network link.

g.