[simpits-tech] Unsuspected surprise!

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 02:06:55 +0000

LOL! Finally a good use for F/A-18s! Tetherballs! :)

Brian

----Original Message Follows----
From: Marv De Beque <mdebeque@woh.rr.com>
To: <simpits-tech@simpits.org>
Subject: Re: [simpits-tech] Unsuspected surprise!
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:57:20 -0500

He he.  Neat!

On a silly note, I saw a video replay of F-18A Hornet where a guy went out
on a mission, did a great job with a number of kills and then RTB.

The view was an external view and as he was approaching a runway, he caught
a tower or some huge flag pole with the left wing.

The sim was riot.  The aircraft pivoted around the pole 2 or 3 times and as
it did, each time it climbed higher on the pole like a teather ball wrapping
itself around.

Finally, it reached the top and the plane stopped on the very tip of the
pole and sat there, then teetered for about 30 seconds back and forth very
slightly, then it simply fell off to the ground.

I don't know if he had invincibility on or what, but I just rolled on the
floor laughing.  No way could you duplicate that stunt if you tried.

Marv

On 2/11/03 7:37 PM, "Brian Sikkema" <hangr18@hotmail.com> wrote:

 > Matt,
 >
 > It has probably the best level of detail I have seen in any flight sim to
 > date - very important for a low-and-slow sim. The guys walking around on
the
 > ground, with the shoulder-fired SAMS and such, are actual 3d-models, not
 > 2-d plane with a texture on it. Not only that, but they are GOOD models.
 > Guys standing around on refinery buildings, etc. And great radar masking
 > modeling.
 >
 > I think perhaps my favorite memory of flying EECH had to be the time I
got a
 > two-in-one shot on a Hokum with my Commanche... I snuck up on two Hokums,
 > flying side by side. I was tracking them via IR and training my guns, so
 > was still completely stealthed. I lock on the first bird, shoot it full
of
 > lead, and the pilots eject. For those of you who don't know, the Hokum is
 > equipped with an ejection system. Its main rotors blow off and go flying
 > away, and then the crew (seated side-by-side) eject up and away from
 > eachother, forming a "V". Well, when they ejected from the first
helicopter,
 > the rotor blades flew off and struck the second helicopter, causing that
 > crew to eject as well! It was a once-in-a-lifetime shot, unfortunately I
 > only got credit for 1 kill because I only actually shot one of them. :(
But