[simpits-tech] Unsuspected surprise!

Brian Sikkema simpits-tech@simpits.org
Wed, 12 Feb 2003 00:37:29 +0000

Matt,

It has probably the best level of detail I have seen in any flight sim to
date - very important for a low-and-slow sim. The guys walking around on the
ground, with the shoulder-fired SAMS and such, are actual 3d-models, not a
2-d plane with a texture on it. Not only that, but they are GOOD models.
Guys standing around on refinery buildings, etc. And great radar masking
modeling.

I think perhaps my favorite memory of flying EECH had to be the time I got a
two-in-one shot on a Hokum with my Commanche... I snuck up on two Hokums,
flying side by side. I was tracking them via IR and training my guns, so I
was still completely stealthed. I lock on the first bird, shoot it full of
lead, and the pilots eject. For those of you who don't know, the Hokum is
equipped with an ejection system. Its main rotors blow off and go flying
away, and then the crew (seated side-by-side) eject up and away from
eachother, forming a "V". Well, when they ejected from the first helicopter,
the rotor blades flew off and struck the second helicopter, causing that
crew to eject as well! It was a once-in-a-lifetime shot, unfortunately I
only got credit for 1 kill because I only actually shot one of them. :( But
a very, very cool game. I dont think it will make linux any time soon,
though :(

Brian