[simpits-tech] May the Force Feedback be with you...

Akin, Keenan L simpits-tech@simpits.org
Mon, 10 Feb 2003 13:29:21 -0600

I am surprised that no one has made any comments about the airless method schematic I posted.  Either no one received it or it is so ridiculous that no one wants to discuss it.

Keenan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeroen Huijben [mailto:jeroen_huijben@hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 10, 2003 1:06 PM
To: simpits-tech@simpits.org
Subject: RE: [simpits-tech] May the Force Feedback be with you...

Hi,
I've been following this a bit, what about this setup:

The attached picture has two cylinders attached back to back. One piston is
attached to the stick, the other to the cockpit.
The blue square is your high pressure air source.

The left piston is used for trim. It has two pairs of valves, the green open
in unison and the purple open in unison. This way, by opening a pair, you
can make the piston move in or out. This will move the center point of the
stick.

The right piston is used for the variable resistance of the stick.
It has six valves.
The blue ones are one way valves which only let air go in the direction of
their points. This keeps air from going from one chamber to the other.
The red valves open when the pressure on the side of the point drops below
X.
The green valves open when the pressure on the side of the point rises above
Y. Y and X are set by the computer and the valves keep the pressure in the
cylinder between X and Y.

By varying X and Y you vary the pressure in the cylinder. The higher the
pressure, the harder it is to move the stick away from the center.
The big tanks on top expand the volume so you don't have to work with low
pressures or huge cylinders.

Then you write a program that reads the airspeed from the simulation,
translates it to a pressure and adjusts X and Y.